- It deepens our relationship with God. How do we build friendships? Spending time with someone. It’s the same way with God. The more we are in His word the more we further our relationship with Him.
- It’s the number one tool for resisting sin.When Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, he used the Word of God as his defense. Scripture is the most powerful tool we have when tempted.
- It helps us to make wise decisions. The more you fill your mind with the Word of God, the more you will know the will of God. “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path” Psalm 119:105.
- It strengthens during times of stress, sadness and trials. Scripture comforts you in time of need and reminds you God is always with us. “Remember your promise to me; it is my only hope. Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles” Psalm 119:49-50.
- It helps witness to unbelievers. If you have Scripture memorized, it’ll help you be far more effective in sharing because you can share the truth of God’s Word. “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect”. 1 Peter 3:15
- It aids us in our prayers. What better way to talk to God than to be familiar with the language of God through His Word
- Put it on an index card by your nightstand, bathroom mirror, fridge, car console or desk at work.
- Make it the background of your phone/computer.
- Practice writing it down and saying it out loud.
- Right click the verse below to copy the link or image to your blog.
In this verse, Jesus is telling us to let go of all our weariness and burdens and to come to Him. He desires to join with us and bear our burdens for us. It can be our own opinions, solutions, agenda or anything that holds us back from running without hindrance to His arms alone. What Jesus is offering in these verses isn’t a removal of the work in our life. But, when we choose to share life with Jesus, the work we face is easier, the burden we carry is lighter and the yoke is not as hard.
Yokes are used to attach a team of oxen together to plow a field or pull a heavy load. It wouldn’t work with just one yoke, but there must be two to keep it balanced, with the stronger one in front. In the same way, Jesus wants us to join with Him so HE can carry our burdens. Why? Because Jesus offers us grace, mercy and peace where as the world tries to take them from us. He truly gives us rest, real rest, meaningful rest. Come to Him, you will find rest for your soul.