National Infertility Awareness Week – Start Asking
This week kicks off National Infertility Awareness Week, which as stated in the name is obviously a week to bring awareness to infertility. The theme for this year is “Start Asking.” There are so many questions when it comes to infertility. I don’t think the questions ever stop, but before we talk discuss the theme, let’s talk about some facts about infertility (taken from resolve.org):
- Infertility is defined as the inability to conceive for 12 months or to carry a pregnancy through a live birth
- 1 in 8 couples go through infertility. Yes, that means someone you know is currently going through it whether they are open about it or not.
- 1/3 of the diagnosis have to do with problems with the female, 1/3 is male and 1/3 are both
- Only 15 states have an insurance mandate to offer some form of insurance
Now to the theme. What questions can you start asking?
- Ask your doctor about tests, diagnosis, medical procedures, and options
- Ask yourself what natural steps you can take to increase your fertility
- Ask your spouse where they stand on medical intervention, adoption, etc
- Ask your friends and family to support and pray for you
- Ask your insurance what coverage you have
- Ask your employer for better coverage for infertility
- Ask your spouse how they are doing
- Ask your friends who are going through infertility how they are doing
- Ask your church to acknowledge infertility
- Ask your congressmen for better coverage for infertility.
This is my quick and limited list. Clearly as stated earlier the questions can go on and on. Don’t ever stop bringing awareness to infertility, but instead just as this theme encourages, start asking!
Are you an infertility blogger? Join us this Friday as you share your story in a link up! Have questions or want to join? Please email me for details!
Are you looking for infertility support? Come join us for encouragement and support!