Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
September is Childhood cancer awareness month.
If you are a new visitor, you might be wondering why I am advocating for childhood cancer. I wish I didn’t have to. I wish I knew nothing about the facts of childhood cancer, but in March 2014 just 15 days after being diagnosed with brain cancer, my 2.5 year old nephew passed away. Unfortunately for our family, Kai had one of the most aggressive forms of cancer, AT/RT, which has a 10% survival rate.
Facts about childhood cancer:
- Childhood cancer is the leading cause of deaths by disease among children.
- This year, 15,000 children in the United States from the age of 0 to 19 will be diagnosed with cancer and 2,000 will pass away from cancer.
- 41 children in the United States every day will be diagnosed with cancer.
- One out of every 300 males and one out of every 330 females will develop cancer before their 20th birthday.
- 40,000 children receive treatment each year for cancer.
- 20% of children will die from the disease itself, complications with treatment, or a secondary cancer.
- 96% of the Federal funding for research is for adult cancers, leaving less than 4% for childhood cancer, even though children make up 20% of the cancer population.
Despite the fact that children make up 20% of the cancer population, childhood cancer receives only 4% of all cancer funds. Many of these children are given no chance because the majority of the cancer funds are all being used for adult cancers.
For many people these are just facts. I was the same way, but that ALL changes when childhood cancer affects someone you know. I had never been around cancer or death until Kai got sick. In just two quick weeks, my world got flipped upside down and now advocating for childhood cancer is very important to me. I’m advocating because I want others to know about childhood cancer. I am advocating because I want everyone to know the reality and the facts of the disease. I’m advocating because I want there to be a cure and I’m advocating in memory of Kai.
If you want to make a difference in these little ones lives, please considering making a donation to St. Jude’s. If you don’t have the funds to donate, will you please share this post? Join me in going gold for the month of September and spreading awareness about childhood cancer.